Have you ever wondered what it takes to be a successful freelancer or gig worker? Joining us on YAP this week is Diane Mulcahy, an author and leading expert on the gig economy, a term that describes the labor market for independent contractors and short term jobs.
In today’s digital world the workforce has become increasingly mobile. Websites such as Fiverr and Upwork thrive as freelance platforms— giving people the chance to select the best talent from a large pool of potential candidates. Not only does the gig economy present more opportunities for employers, it is also a chance for many people to find work while maintaining flexibility and freedom in their professional lives. For those who value the ability to set their own work schedule and balance work with other pursuits, being a freelancer can be a very appealing career choice!
As Diane Mulcahy states during the interview: “I think that’s a very appealing concept to most of us when we hear it. I mean who doesn’t want to control their life? When you work independently you can decide what hours you work, which means you can accommodate your personal priorities and you can balance your professional life with whatever else is going on in your life. Like your athletic endeavors, your creative pursuits, your family and other personal obligations or goals that you might have.”
In this episode, Hala Taha and our guest, Diane Mulcahy, discuss the pros and cons of working in the gig economy and share tips on what it takes to be successful in this new way of work.
The GIG economy provides opportunities to turn good jobs into great work and for less skilled workers in traditionally bad jobs, it offers the potential to turn those bad jobs into better work
What are we yapping about in this episode:
Join the community
- Want to connect with other YAP listeners? Join the YAP Society on Slack: bit.ly/yapsociety
- Earn rewards for inviting your friends to YAP Society: bit.ly/sharethewealthyap
Sponsored by Fivver
- Follow YAP on Instagram: www.instagram.com/youngandprofiting
- Reach out to Hala directly at Hala@YoungandProfiting.com
- Follow Hala on Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/htaha/
- Follow Hala on Instagram: www.instagram.com/yapwithhala
- Get marketing services like logos, whiteboard videos, animation and web development on Fivver: track.fiverr.com/visit/?bta=51570&brand=fiverrcpa
- Learn new marketing skills like graphic design and video editing on Fivver Learn: track.fiverr.com/visit/?bta=51570&brand=fiverrcpa