Do you have any bad habits you’ve been trying to change? Joining us on YAP this week is Marshall Goldsmith, a leadership coach and author of several books on management. He has made it his goal to help others achieve lasting changes in behaviour, and overcome limiting beliefs.
Whether its nail biting, overspending or procrastination, most of us have at least one bad habit we would like to break. Often times, habits are difficult to break simply because we have gotten so used to them, so in order to break this cycle, it is important to remind ourselves on a regular basis about our own behaviour. One way to do this ask ourselves daily questions about whether we are happy, find meaning in our lives and moving towards future goals. In addition to addressing routine, here are numerous behavioural triggers that affect us subconsciously so in order to fix a habit, it is also important to avoid or replace these triggers. By creating and controlling the environment around us, it makes it easier to change our routines and make different decisions. For example avoiding bars can help someone that wants to quit drinking or not keeping candy around the house can help someone that wants to get rid of their sweet tooth.
As Marshall Goldsmith states during the interview: “You want to quit smoking, don’t smoke. If you want to quit eating chocolate, get chocolate out of your house. Cause when the stimulus is there, you’re much more likely to do it. ”
While old habits tend to die hard, they are not impossible to overcome with the right strategies and mentality. In this episode, Hala Taha and our guest, Marshall Goldsmith, discuss how bad habits are formed and share strategies to change our own behaviour for the better.
For more on Marshall Goldsmith follow him on Linkedin at https://www.linkedin.com/in/marshallgoldsmith/, on Twitter and Instagram @coachgoldsmith, and visit his website at https://www.marshallgoldsmith.com/.
Happiness is the ultimate goal of success and it needs to come through from the inside, not from the outside.
What are we yapping about in this episode:
Join the community
- Want to connect with other YAP listeners? Join the YAP Society on Slack: bit.ly/yapsociety
- Earn rewards for inviting your friends to YAP Society: bit.ly/sharethewealthyap
Sponsored by Fivver
- Follow YAP on Instagram: www.instagram.com/youngandprofiting
- Reach out to Hala directly at Hala@YoungandProfiting.com
- Follow Hala on Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/htaha/
- Follow Hala on Instagram: www.instagram.com/yapwithhala
- Get marketing services like logos, whiteboard videos, animation and web development on Fivver: track.fiverr.com/visit/?bta=51570&brand=fiverrcpa
- Learn new marketing skills like graphic design and video editing on Fivver Learn: track.fiverr.com/visit/?bta=51570&brand=fiverrcpa